Junior Thespian Conference
JR THESCON 2023
Click below to watch Highlights from the 2018 conference.
2023 Conference Schedules will be accessible before the conference via Guidebook
JR. THESCON 2023 THURSDAY, DECEMBER 7!
- Have students submit an Individual Event (Thespy)
- Take part in Workshops with presenters from around the country
- Watch an IE Showcase and Matinee Performance
Where: Colorado Convention Center in Denver, Colorado
What: A day filled with active theatre workshops designed especially for middle school students. Students and chaperones self select events to attend during the three workshop and Individual Event (IE) sessions (pre-registration is required for IE performance opportunities)
When: Jr ThesCon is always the first or second Thursday in December. Middle schools gather for a one day event
Event Start Time: 9 am (check in begins at 8 am)
Event End Time: 3:30 – 4:00 pm (schedule busses to pick up during this window if applicable)
- $50 per middle school student
- $25 per Individual Event (middle school students limited to one)
- $30 per chaperone
- Troupe Director is free
- Lunch is not provided (sack lunches encouraged)
Note: Due to contractual agreements, outside food and beverage, other than sack lunches, are not permitted in the Colorado Convention Center
HOW TO REGISTER
- Click “Troupe Director” in the upper right hand corner of this site
- Create your school and troupe director profile
- Enter your student participant information and begin registering
- You may keep your account open and working for changes, updates, additions and deletions
- Do not hit “Submit” until you have checked for accurate information in your registration
- Once you hit “Submit” you may not make any changes to your registration and refunds are not issued
- Payment is due before the conference
- The deadline to register is November 10 at midnight
After the November 10th deadline, or after you have submitted your registration, schools are responsible for the balance due in their online account. No refunds are offered after the November 10th deadline. Additionally, schools are responsible for the balance due after they submit or after the November 10 deadline passes. Late registrations are charged an additional $25 per student.
Jr ThesCon Schedule
|8:00 am||Troupe Check In||Lobby A|
|9:00 – 10:00 am||Session 1||CCC|
|10:10 – 11:10 am||Session 2||CCC|
|11:20 am – 12:20 pm||Session 3||CCC|
|12:20 – 1:00 pm||Lunch|
|1:00 pm||Mainstage Doors Open||Bellco Theatre|
|1:30 pm||Mainstage Event||Bellco Theatre|
|3:30 pm||Conference Ends|
Bus pick up Northwest side on Stout Street
ALL STATE OPENING NUMBER
Eighth graders are invited to audition for our annual All State Opening number. The performance consists of 15-20 student performers from around Colorado to participate in the opening number at ThesCon and at the Jr ThesCon mainstage ceremony. It’s free to audition, but students must create a profile and upload their video audition at thespianpointtracker.com Troupe director support is encouraged for this. The deadline to submit an audition is October 20 at midnight. (Note: Any middle school student cast in the All State Opening Number would be working on staging during the workshop portion of the Jr Conference and would not be able to participate in those events.) Find audition information here.
Colorado Thespians offers Individual Events at the Junior Thespian Conference. The Colorado Junior Individual Events audition series is intended to be an educational program that offers delegates the opportunity, using the audition approach, to receive constructive feedback on prepared theatrical material. The goal for participating students is to find their skills, strengths, and weaknesses and to grow as theatre artists. This process also supports Teacher Effectiveness for the Colorado Teacher Effectiveness process. The auditions culminate in the selection of a performance showcase cast of outstanding entries, some of which will be featured on the afternoon main stage for the Junior Thespian Conference. IE participation is optional and requires an additional fee.
There are numerous categories included in the middle school individual events: Monologues, Duet Acting, Solo Musical, Duet Musical, and Group Musical Theatre.
JR TECH CHALLENGE
Middle school students are offered the opportunity to take part in the Jr Tech Challenge, a relay-race type of challenge were teammates are timed on a series of technical theatre challenges. Each team is timed and those with the best times are celebrated at the Jr Mainstage Event.
- Students do not need to pre-register for the Jr Tech Challenge
- Jr Tech Challenge Teams may be made up of 5 students from the same school or 5 students from different schools who meet at the conference
- Jr Tech Challenge is held during all three workshop sessions of the middle school conference
See Guidelines for Jr Tech Challenge here
Rules for Individual Events are located under the Jr Student Individual Events page.
Educator participants are able to sign up for graduate credit. To register for THEA 513 credit from the University of Northern Colorado, please read the directions for online registration on the downloadable syllabus. Participants who plan to attend both the Teacher’s Conference and the December Thespian Conference may sign up for 2 credits. If you plan to attend both conferences and want 2 credits, please sign up for both at the same time. Graduate credit registration link Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org